potential emergency rations.
- You can't put your groceries in the trunk of the car because its
already jammed full with emergency kits, first aid supplies, and
- You know the news three days before it hits the mass media.
- You have back-up plans for your back-up plans.
- You're convinced you've been exposed to so many chem-trails, you
consider it a form of birth control.
- You've ever repressed the urge to bleat "BAAAAAAAAAA" as your
earnestly asks, "What war? Where?"
- You've ever bought antibiotics for human use through a vet, or
for human consumption through a feed store.
- You've got more than one grain mill.
- You've ever wondered how you might filter the used water from your
washing machine to make it fit for human consumption.
- You have a kerosene lamp in every room
- Your living room coffee table is actually a board with pretty cloth
over it to disguise your food storage underneath.
- Your box springs are Rubber Maid containers filled with rice and
- You save dryer lint to make fire starters.
- Your most commonly-used fuel additive is 'Stabil', instead of
- You automatically choose the heavy duty flatbed cart upon entering
Sam's or Costco.
- If you know the shelf life of tuna fish, but don't know how long
you've had an open jar of mayo in the frig.
- Your basement walls are insulated with crates of toilet paper, from
floor to ceiling, all the way around.
- While other people are saving money for new furniture, or vacations,
you are desperately saving to get solar panels put on your house.
- You were excited beyond all reason when they came out with cheddar
cheese in a can.
- You've ever served MREs at a dinner party.
- You can engage in a spirited debate on chemical vs. sawdust toilets
for hours on end.
- You've ever considered digging an escape tunnel from your basement
the nearest stand of trees.
- You know how to use a vacuum cleaner in reverse to filter air in
designated bio-chem attack safe room.
- You've ever considered buying an above-ground pool for water storage
- You know what things like 'TSHTF', 'BOB' and 'TEOTWAWKI' mean.
- You have different grades of BOB's.
- You know the names, family histories, locations, and degree of
readiness of over a thousand fellow doomers on the net.... but you've
never met your neighbors.
- The best radio in the house is a wind-up.
- You have better items in storage than you use everyday.
- When the SHTF, you would eat better than you eat now.
- Your significant other gave you a sleeping bag rated -15 degrees for
Christmas.... and you were moved beyond words.
- You've sewn a secret mini-BOBs into the bottom of your children's
- Local food pantries have come to depend on donations from your
when you rotate stock in the spring and fall.
- You're still using up your Y2K supplies.
- You have enough army surplus equipment to open a store.
- The local army surplus store owner knows you by your first name.
- You fill up when your gas tank is 3/4 full.
- You call Rubber Maid for wholesale prices.
- You have several cases of baby wipes and your kids are all grown.
- Bert from 'Tremors' is your favorite movie character.
- You carry a pocket survival kit, a sturdy folding knife, a SureFire
flashlight and a small concealed handgun on you to church every
- You start panicking when you are down to 50 rolls of toilet paper.
- You keep a small notebook to write down any edible plants you happen
to see along the road.
- You shop yard sales, store sales, and markdown racks for barter
- You own a hand-operated clothes washer and a non-electric carpet
- You have at least two of every size of Dutch oven (the ones with the
legs on the bottom), and 20 bags of charcoal, although you have a gas
- You have rain barrels at each corner of your house, although you
a city water hookup, and a Big Berkey to purify the water.
- You have sapphire lights, survival whistle, and a Swiss Army knife
every family member's keychain.
- The people in line at Costco's ask you if you run a store or
- You require a shovel to rotate all your preps properly.
- You no longer go the the doctor's because you can either fix it
yourself, make it at home, or know and understand the physicians desk
reference better than he does, and can get the goods at the vets or
store for MUCH less moolah anyway.
- You know that a 'GPS' has nothing to do with the economy.
- You track your preps on a computer spreadsheet for easy reordering,
but have hardcopies in a 3-ring binder 'just in case'.
- You've thought about where the hordes can be stopped before entering
- You start evaluating people according to 'skill sets'.
- You view the nearest conservation area as a potential grocery store
- You know *all* the ways out the building where you work.
- You have enough pasta stockpiled in your basement to carbo-load all
the runners in the New York marathon.
- You know that you have 36 gallons of extra drinking water in the hot
water tank and your 2 toilet tanks.
- You know which bugs are edible.
- You have a handpump on your well.
- You have #10 cans of 'stuff' that the labels fell off of, but you
won't throw it out or open it because it 'may be needed later', even
though you haven't a clue as to the contents.
- You know where the best defensive positions and lines of fire are on
- You've made a range card for your neighborhood.
- Your toenail clipper is a K-BAR.
- The Ranger Handbook is your favorite 'self help' book.
- You've numbered the deer romping in the yard by their order of
- You must move 50 cases of food for the plumber to get to that leaky
pipe, but you have your own hand truck in the basement to do it.
- You own more pairs of hiking boots than casual and dress shoes
- You have more 55gal blue water drums than family members.
- Your UPS system has more than 6 Deep cycle batteries.
- You have a backup generator for your backup generator, which is a
backup for your solar system.
- You go to McDonalds and ask for one order of fries with 25 packs of
ketchup and mustard.
- You have ever given SPAM as a serious gift.
- You've had your eye out for a good deal for a stainless steel
to conceal in the bottom of the magazine rack next to the toliet.
- You are single male over 40, but you still have an emergency
childbirth kit, just in case you have to deal with that possibility.
- You have two water heaters installed in your basement, but one is a
dummy that's been converted to hideaway safe.
- You've made bugout cargo packs for your dogs.
- You have a walking stick with all sorts of gadgets hidden inside.
- Your koi pond is stocked with catfish.
- As a stand-in scoutmaster, you taught your son's troop to set
and punji pits, and haven't been asked to stand in since.
- You're on your fifth vaccum sealer, but you keep at least one of the
worn out ones because you can still seal up plastic bags with it.
- You haven't bought dried fruit in years, but you buy fresh bananas,
apples, peaches and pears by the case and have three dehydrators.
- Your UPS man hates you because of all the cases of ammo he's had to
lug from his truck to your front door.
- You have duplicates of all your electronics gear, solar panels and
generator parts in your EMP-shielded fallout shelter.
- You have set aside space for your live chickens in the fallout
- When the power goes out in your neighborhood, all the neighbor's
come over to your place to watch TV on generator power.
- You must open the door to your pantry *very* carefully for fear of a
canned goods avalanche.
- You have a 'Volcano', you know you can cook anything, and you cast
evil glances at your neighbor's annoying, yappy poodle, muttering
day will come, hotdog" under your breath.
- You've learned to knap flint, make twine from plant fibers for
and use an atl-atl, because you fear that all of your preps and hard
work will be confiscated by FEMA troops or destroyed by earthquakes,
tsunamis, nuclear blasts, ravening hordes of feral sheeple or
from 'Planet X'