Jitney cabs: the future of public transport? - Open Knowledge — LiveJournal
Mar. 1st, 2012
01:15 pm - Jitney cabs: the future of public transport?
For some reason, public transit activists aren’t very enthusiastic about jitney cabs. But it seems to me to be the ideal form of public transit.
- Billions in additional subsidies not required
- No eminent domain seizures for new rail lines
- 24 hour operation
- Uses existing roads
- Flexible routes and schedules
- No dependence on transit unions (which shut down city operations if they don’t get their way in labor negotiations)
- Employs low-skill workers (retirees, new immigrants)
- Wide range in service levels (from bare bones to luxury)
- Low cost
End the taxi cab medallion monopoly, and a lot more people would step up to offer rides. Check out these links for more info: