Rainbow Mansion seeks housemate - Open Knowledge — LiveJournal
Mar. 4th, 2011
11:31 am - Rainbow Mansion seeks housemate
Come join a community of driven, international, passionate and
socially conscious people. We are looking for a creative individual
(or couple) who enjoys cooperating, collaborating, and coexisting with
Located in Cupertino, near the corner of Rainbow Drive and Bubb Road
(see map link below)
- Right off the 85 in Cupertino with easy access to the 280 and 101
- 5 minutes to Apple
- 10-15 minutes to Mountain View/NASA/Google (and CalTrain station)
- 20 minutes to Palo Alto/Stanford and Downtown San Jose
- Less than 60 minutes to San Francisco
Currently, we are a group of seven young professionals (3f/4m) in a
seven bedroom 5,127 sq-ft. house with diverse backgrounds and jobs. We
have 3 working for NASA (space sciences, engineering, biology), one
Apple employee (QA), one engineer at Space Systems/Loral (satellites),
a CTO of a software startup, and one real estate agent. We are from
the US and UK (with former residents from Canada, Poland, Germany and
many others) and would like to keep the gender and international
We have a great community, and are very inclusive in our social
circles. We regularly have household, community and company events.
Young Professional Parties, NASA retreats, serious-business
brainstorms and company off-sites, movie nights, holiday and New
Year’s parties, and BBQs are just some of the events, sometimes having
upwards of 200-300 people.
- Resident Rooms: Six bedrooms and one master suite. All have great
light and hardwood floors. Some second-floor rooms have balconies.
- Library: Thousands of books, large fireplace, eclectic art and a
- Music room: Grand piano, keyboard and guitars; new additions always welcome.
- Living room: Dining room and breakfast nook with some nice 80's deco pieces.
- Media room: Huge projector screen for the new AppleTV (2G), Xbox +
Kinect, PS3 and Wii. Abuts a huge, fully-stocked bar which is perfect
for entertaining during movie nights.
- Kitchen: Gas range, granite countertops, island, subzero freezer and
wine racks. Excellent selection of kitchen gadgets. There is also a
BBQ area outside.
- Garage: A workspace where we hack, make and craft. Currently
includes an old supercomputer tower that we’re turning into a robotic
- Laundry Room: Washer, dryer, ironing area, etc.
- Hostel/Guest Room: For visiting friends and family. Sleeps up to six.
- Beautifully landscaped front yard, including koi pond and miniature
- Million-dollar view of the valley from the front; the rear of the
house overlooks Steven’s Creek Park / Fremont Older Open Space Reserve
- Five minutes’ walk to Steven's Creek Park/Reserve, which is
beautiful for hiking (and has some wineries just the other side :o) --
wild turkeys and deer often visit the yard
- Plenty of private parking spots for residents and visitors
- No TV, but a Netflix subscription in addition to hundreds of movies
in our accumulated DVD/Blu-Ray collection to play on our
There is currently 1 bedroom ($950 per month) opening in mid-March as
the current resident is moving to San Francisco. The available bedroom
shares a connected bathroom with 1 other room.
If you are interested, please send us your thoughts on the following
questions (before or after your visit) and we'll find a time for you
to stop by, see the house and meet everyone:
1. Where you are from, what did you study, and what do you do?
2. You find a genie in a bottle. What are your 3 wishes? (Yes, seriously!)
3. What are your favorite books you'd be adding to the library?
4. What's your ideal social gathering?
5. What appeals to you about living in an intentional community?